Logo
  Monday, May 20, 2019
Sign-In  |  Sign-Up  |  Contact Us  |  Bookmark 

Toxicity With Chocolates    What’s with the chocolates that are not good for dogs? I need explanation regarding this coz my pet Silva has once gone not himself after getting one.

Post Response 
julius
09/22/2008
03:12:17 AM
Re: Toxicity With Chocolates
Yes chocolates contain some levels of theobromine or caffeine that when ingested by dogs could endanger its health. According to American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals the toxic level for pets is 100-200mg/kg. (1 kiliogram = 2.2 pounds).
Post Reply

julius
09/22/2008
03:13:33 AM
Re: Toxicity With Chocolates
If sometimes you unknowingly feed your dogs chocolate or chocolate drinks here’s some content facts: From The Merck Veterinary Manual, 8th ed,

Unsweetened (baker's) chocolate contains 8-10 times the amount of Theobromine as milk chocolate.

Semi-sweet chocolate falls roughly in between the two for Theobromine content. White chocolate contains Theobromine, but in such small amounts that Theobromine poisoning is unlikely.
Post Reply

russel
09/22/2008
03:15:43 AM
Re: Toxicity With Chocolates
I also want to add that caffeine or its substance cannot be broken down in dog’s system unlike human’s. So the best and safest thing to do is do away with chocolates with your dogs. Though some dogs have sweet tooth, you can give alternative treats like home-made cookies but make sure its not chocolate flavor.
Post Reply

kinglee
09/22/2008
03:16:54 AM
Re: Toxicity With Chocolates
You can look for these signs within 12 hours and see if your dog has been chocolate-toxified : Excitement , Vomiting / diarrhea, Excessive thirst or urination, Muscle spasms, Seizure. See your vet when these occurs.
Post Reply

glove
09/22/2008
03:18:26 AM
Re: Toxicity With Chocolates
Chocolates can also be a cause of fats and calories, which eventually for our dogs would lead up to being obese which definitely not good for your pets.
Post Reply

rainman
09/22/2008
02:54:19 PM
Re: Toxicity With Chocolates
Chocolates are made from milk, and as I said from the other posts, milk upsets the stomach of dogs.
Post Reply

juianne
09/26/2008
07:36:47 AM
Re: Toxicity With Chocolates
Would letting a dog eat chocolates give way to a more serious illness? I mean, can't they really eat chocolates? Once, i gave my puppy my favorite cadbury.
Post Reply

1  |
Related Forums   
Dry Skin!
Hi guys! I have a problem with my dog because I saw that he really has dry skin on his feet and on his leg area. I saw ...
Is human toothpaste harmful for dogs?
I just wanted to know if a human toothpaste is harmful for dogs. Thanks.
Hip Problems
Hey guys I need some help. I have a pup who has some hip problems. He is always in pain during the night time. What am ...
Reverse Sneezing
I observed of my dog’s reverse sneezing and heard its fairly common dog thing, but quite alarming though in what extent?
Treating ringworm on your dog
Ringworm is a contagious fungal infection that is common on dogs.It is important to begin treating a dog's ringworm as ...
My Pup Won't Eat!
My Siberian Husky puppy (8 weeks) won't eat anything! I tried dry food, can food, peanut butter, even dry liver! Please ...
More
Post Your Response
Your Name:*
LoginRegister
Subject:*
Type Message:*