Logo
  Monday, December 11, 2017
Sign-In  |  Sign-Up  |  Contact Us  |  Bookmark 

Feeding ice to dogs    It is a very hot and humid day here. My sister made an ice block and we ate it together. My dog, Rocky came over and I thought that he might like it so I gave him a small block. He started licking it but eventually stopped. I don't think that he does not like it; I think that maybe the ice block is too cold for his tongue to handle. I'm not really sure, though. How about you? Have you tried feeding your dogs ice when it is very hot? Or do you know more about what should I give my dog or not? Help!


Post Response 
doglover0417
08/02/2010
10:46:56 PM

Hi! I haven't ever tried feeding my dogs some ice or ice cream even during a hot and sunny day. However, I would never try to feed my dogs chocolate because I think that it is very harmful for the health of the dogs. I always tell everyone not to give the dogs in the house some desserts because it might be really hazardous. I just buy them some desserts from the supermarket specifically made for dogs. I prefer to do this so that I can be assured that the health of my dog is in good hands. Also, I do not think that it is harmful to give ice to your dog because it is just water.
Post Reply

dogsarelove17
08/02/2010
10:49:54 PM
Reply to doglover0417's post dated 8/2/2010 10:46:56 PM
I also do not think that giving my dog ice is harmful for his health. I'm just worried though because I really do not have a vast knowledge when it comes to what to and what not to give to my dog. Regarding the ice, he just licked it for several minutes and then he moved away.
Post Reply

doglover0417
08/02/2010
10:52:44 PM
Reply to dogsarelove17's post dated 8/2/2010 10:49:54 PM
Wow. It seems that you have a clever dog right there. It is great that he tested the ice first before he took it. I think it would make us really laugh if we saw the shocked reaction on his face when his tongue touched something super cold.
Post Reply

dogsarelove17
08/02/2010
10:56:26 PM
Reply to doglover0417's post dated 8/2/2010 10:52:44 PM
Yes, he is indeed very smart. It is really nice that he did not react violently when he first licked the ice. He must have liked it but is probably too cool for his tongue. There was this one time that I tried giving him some cookies. I think that he did not like it because he licked it first. I think he did not like the taste because after licking it he moved away. I think that is pretty normal for dogs.
Post Reply

ilovedogss37
08/02/2010
11:01:43 PM

My dog Rocky loves eating ice too! When we get ice from the dispenser he is usually standing there begging with his puppy dog eyes for us to give him a piece. It is really funny because my dog also acts the same way as yours. We would give him a piece and he would lick it once then put it down. He would come back again after several seconds and repeat the process until everything is finished. You are right; I don't think that he does not like it. I think the coldness is too much for him.
Post Reply

dogsarelove17
08/02/2010
11:09:36 PM
Reply to ilovedogss37's post dated 8/2/2010 11:01:43 PM
Dogs are indeed very smart, especially ours. All dog owners know that it is not an easy task to take care of our beloved pets, but it is all worth it. Have you tried feeding your dogs something that put his health in danger like chocolates or chicken? I had this friend who does not know much about dogs and she tried to feed her dogs chicken because she thought it was alright. Her dog died because of her lack of knowledge. It was really sad. I think that all dog owners should have vast knowledge about their pets and what are the foods that they could not give to their dogs.
Post Reply

ilovedogss37
08/02/2010
11:16:15 PM
Reply to dogsarelove17's post dated 8/2/2010 11:09:36 PM
Yeah, dogs are a little smart especially my little Rocky. He is my new dog and I just got him the other day from a shelter. He is usually very shy and timid but when he sees ice he goes really crazy. We have three Rottweilers now. We have Dragon, Wolf, and now Rocky. Oh wow. I just noticed that we both named our dogs Rocky. What a coincidence. Anyway, that was a really sad! You are definitely right. It is our responsibility as owners to take care of our pets.
Post Reply

kristina
08/02/2010
11:22:40 PM

I have a friend who is a veterinarian and he told me that it is alright to give ice for the dogs to lick. However, we should avoid at all cost to give our dogs’ really sweet food because that it bad for their health and worms can form in their stomachs which is a very bad thing. He always tells me that the stomachs of dogs are not really designed to digest very sweet foods. If we want to give them desserts, we should buy one from the supermarket that is specifically made for them. It might cost a little more but we can save the lives of our dogs.
Post Reply

dogsarelove17
08/02/2010
11:30:38 PM
Reply to ilovedogss37's post dated 8/2/2010 11:16:15 PM
It is indeed a coincidence that we both have named them Rocky. Your's is a Rottweiler? My Rocky is a Siberian husky. Anyway, yes it was very sad. That was her first dog and she did not succeed. Oh well, maybe not all of us can be dog owners. I think it takes a lot of patience, and a lot of research to do! I mean if you really care about your pet, at least ask some people who have knowledge about it because that is your responsibility to your dog. I have never met an irresponsible dog owner as she is.
Post Reply

dogsarelove17
08/02/2010
11:33:20 PM
Reply to kristina's post dated 8/2/2010 11:22:40 PM
Oh wow! Thanks for the detailed information. I used to feed my dog apiece of cake each time I eat one because I thought that it was alright for him. I usually give him a small piece. Thanks for your advice. I did not know that sweets can form in his stomach. I would never do that again even if he is showing me his puppy-dog eyes which I cannot resist but I have to now. I don't want him to die or something like that. Thank you again!
Post Reply

1  |
Related Forums   
Puppies are always screaming!
Our 4 new Shih Tzu puppies are always crying and screaming over everything that we are doing to them. We tried giving ...
My dog doesn't want to eat and drink?
I'm worried about my dog trix. she doesn't want to eat and drink. she just stays under the table and does not play ...
Are dogs capable of seeing supernatural beings?
Can dogs really see supernatural beings, more specifically ghosts? How many of you think that your dog can see ghosts, ...
Dog in Art
The number of breeds of dogs grew--especially of hunting dogs.The foremost country for hunting dogs in the seventeenth ...
Do wild Dogs Still Exist?
Whatever the case,if we exclude wolves from the wild dog group,there are still some wild dogs,including the singing ...
Reviews On the Breed Border Collie
I need some reviews on the breed Border Collie.
More
Post Your Response
Your Name:*
LoginRegister
Subject:*
Type Message:*